Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Dinner - Corn Bisque, Step 1

We ate a lot of soup in Utah. It was cold, soup was warm. We also ate a lot of things called bisques that were not. In my head, if its lumpy its not a bisque. Then on the last day at a very nice restaurant they had a corn bisque that I almost didn't share with Rick.
So when we were planning our menu for this Christmas lunch, I decided to try and make something like it
And because I have nothing better to do, I decided to make the base in advance. Yay for me being organised!

Ingredients:
One 1lb frozen corn
3/4 cup carrots
1-1/2 cup shallots
dried thyme
chilli powder
chicken stock

Chop up the shallots and the carrots and drain the corn.

Melt some butter in your pot.

Add the shallots and saute a bit.

Add the Carrots and saute. You can also add celery but I hate buying celery because invariably I only use about one or two sticks and the rest disintegrate into a soggy green mess in my fridge drawer. Also, I hate how it tastes except in a bloody mary.

Anyway, when the carrots and shallots look nice and soft, add the corn,

a teaspoon of thyme, and a quarter teaspoon of chilli powder. I would add a little more chilli powder but Rick's family is... spice-averse.

Mix it all up and saute for a few minutes.

Add 4-1/2 cups of chicken stock, bring it to a boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer for about half an hour.

And that is step 1. Take a break, clear up the counter (So you can mess it up again in step 2),
eat a snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment