Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blinky Bugs.

Last weekend (or maybe the weekend before that? Time runs together a bit when you don't have a job) I was at Oktoberfest* with Evie and Rene and when I was leaving Evie presented me with a bag and told me that I was going to help her with the decorations for hallowe'en party that she was going to have for the kid.
In the bag was:

Evidently, because I made Paper flower boutonnières for the wedding I am now qualified to make cut-outs of ghosties and hang paper bats for a four-year-old's party.
After I had made sure that I didn't have to do this in the midst of fifteen four-year-olds I was fine with it.. not that I had a choice. Also, this way I could get rid of some of those thousands of LED's and dying batteries that I have post-wedding.

It helps if saturday morning is cold and rainy, and you have someone to bring you things that you discover you need halfway through something complicated (ie. needs both your hands) so that you can make bugs while you're all snug in bed.


Basically the bugs are two LEDs and a coin battery, with 'antennae' made from piano wire to complete the circuit. After you put those together you tart them up with pipecleaners, feathers and pompoms. 

Secretly we both had a lot of fun, and maybe one of these days we'll stop finding little bits of piano wire and tape in our bed... and the bugs turned out fine though in retrospect the one with six eyes was pushing it a bit.



* About Oktoberfest.. Does it seem pointless to anyone else? You wait in a queue to get in (unless you're like me and join a friend who has been waiting in a queue just as she gets to the front - that wasn't luck), then you wait in a queue to get beer, then you wait in a queue to get food, then you have to search for a place to get out of the way of all the frat boys and girls who can't hold their beer (their beer mind you!) and to add insult to injury, you have to do this all the while having your ears assaulted with the most ghastly polka music...

No comments:

Post a Comment